Solar Oven Recipes: Easy Chili with Beans
Solar Oven Recipes
- 2 (regular size) cans of tomatoes, (whole, crushed, diced, pureed whichever you prefer.)
- 2 packets of chili seasoning (McCormick or store brand)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3-4 tbsp of dried chopped onions
- 1 ½ tbsp of Salt
- 2 beef bullion cubes
- 4-5 cups of pre cooked beans (pinto or whatever mix you may like.)
- 1 tablespoon of pepper flakes (if so desired)
- Pre heat Solar Cooker or Oven (If you want to cook faster consider using two solar cookers)
- After 15 minutes of pre heating put your ground meat and ½ tbsp salt into one of the solar cookers and position towards sun. Time for twenty minutes
- In a bowl empty the two cans of tomatoes (if using whole tomatoes chop or blend to create small chunks)
- Add half can of water from each can into tomatoes (in order to clean out can)
- Stir in the chili seasoning packets (1 ½ packets can be used for milder flavor)
- Add 3-4 tbsp of chopped dry onions, 1tbsp salt, bullion cubes and pre cooked beans. (The bullion cubes do not need to be dissolved before hand.)
- Add pepper flakes if you prefer a spicier chili.
- At twenty minutes stir and crumble your cooking ground beef into small pieces and re-cover pot. Reset timer for another 20 to 30 minutes.
- Pour all of the tomato/bean mix into the second solar pot and cover, position towards sun.
- When timer sounds the meat should be fully cooked, pour out excess grease then crumble meat to smaller size.
- Add already cooked meat to chili mixture, stirring and mixing all ingredients well. Recover the pot and reposition towards sun.
- Cook for about 3 ½ to 5 hours stirring only once at the most.
*Uncover pot as little as possible in order to retain higher heat levels for better cooking results.
Chili should be dark in color due to long, slow cooking time. Flavor is enhanced when allowed to stew for longer time.
Thank you for visiting Solar Oven Recipes
Return from Solar Oven Recipes: Easy Chili with Beans back to recipe page