Solar Cooking Recipes: Home made Macaroni and Cheese
Note: Before starting this and certain other recipes, please take into consideration the amount of prime cooking time available to you in order to complete the full cooking process. Some recipes require two or more steps in the process of cooking the ingredients and can consume a fair portion of your available ideal cooking time.During the summer time this is less of a factor due to the position of the sun in the vernal sky. Fall, Winter and Spring solar cooking require some adjustment due to the shorter prime cooking hours. For more advice and insight go to our Solar Cooking: When is the Best Time? page.
Solar cooking recipes
This is a various step recipe, plan time accordingly
- 1lb ground sausage (choose your favorite)
- 2 cups macaroni noodles (uncooked)
- 4 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp flour
- 4 cups of milk
- 4 cups of grated cheddar cheese
- Salt to taste
- Start early by; setting out solar cooker with bowl and five cups of water and salt to pre-heat to a boil. (usually about three hours for this amount)
- Set out second cooker with ground sausage in order to brown and cook, break meat up into small portions.
The meat will cook within an hour to two hours, depending on conditions.
- In the meantime you can grate your cheese.
- When the sausage is cooked, drain the fat and leave sausage covered in pan.
- When your water is boiling stir in your macaroni, and then quickly cover the pot and adjust towards the sun.
- The macaroni should take about thirty to forty minutes. If you need to check for doneness, do so after thirty minutes and re-cover the pan as quickly as possible if more cooking is required.
While the macaroni is cooking...
(This next step can be done in a solar cooker if you have the capacity (additional cooker) and the time, or you can do this step on your electric or gas stove top.)
- Melt butter in a pan and stir in your flour.
- Add milk and cook over medium heat until sauce just comes to a boil and starts to thicken.
- Add salt to taste.
- Stir in three cups of grated cheddar cheese and mix well.
- Place cooked macaroni in casserole dish and pour cheese mixture over macaroni and add browned sausage and then mix all together.
- Top with remaining cup of grated cheese.
- Cover with plastic wrap or an oven bag and set the casserole inside of your pre heated solar oven.
Allow macaroni and cheese to cook for at least an hour, but you can leave it longer if you like and it will be fine.
Our kids love the flavor of this slow cooked macaroni and cheese, it seems to mix and enhance the flavors with this method of cooking.
Thank you for visiting Solar Cooking Recipes
Return from Home Made Macaroni back to solar cooking recipes page
Enjoy this page? Please share it with others. Here's how...
Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?
- Click on the HTML link code below.
- Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment,
your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.