Solar Cooking Recipes for Apple Brined Chicken or Turkey
Solar Cooking Recipes
1 whole chicken or small turkey 10-12lbs ( can be cut up if so desired)
- 2 quarts of apple juice
- 1 cup of kosher salt (or regular)
- 2 tablespoons of dried rosemary
- 2 tablespoons of dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon of dried sage
You can use 1 tablespoon of Poultry Seasoning if you do not have the above ingredients.
- 1tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- In a large pot combine the brine ingredients. Stir vigorously until the salt has dissolved.
- Remove the neck and giblets from both ends ot the turkey or chicken and reserve in the refrigerator for gravy.
- If the turkey has a trussing clamp, leave it in place. Do no truss the turkey. Rinse the turkey or chicken, inside and out, with cold water.
- Partially fill a cooler with ice. Open a large sturdy plastic bag in the cooler. Place the turkey, breast side down, in the bag. Carefully pour the brine over the turkey and then add 3 quarts of cold water. Press the air out of the bag, seal thee bag tightly, close the lid of the cooler, and set aside for 18 to 14 hours.
- If doing chicken you can put the bag in the refrigerator.
- When chicken or turkey has brined for stated time and you are ready to cook:
- Set out solar oven to preheat.
*If using a Global Sun Oven you will need to take out the swinging shelf to have room for the turkey.
*Other cookers can accommodate whole chickens inside of the granite ware black roasting pans with no problem.
- Take chicken or turkey from the brine and lay them breast side down in roasting pan.
- Discard the rest of the brine.
- Cover the pan with the lid and place inside of solar oven and align to the sun.
- Set timer every hour to remind yourself to slightly rotate the oven towards the sun.
- Allow chicken to cook at least two and a half hours at around 300 F
- Turkey should be cooked for at least three and a half hours.
*For best results let poultry slow cook for longer periods of time and the meat will literally fall off of the bone.
*If you have only a short time frame for cooking then be sure to check inner meat temperature before serving the poultry.
*Make sure you have ideal sun conditions in order to finish the cooking process; if not, finish in your electric oven.
Thank you for visiting solar cooking recipes
Return from solar cooking recipes brined chicken back to recipes page