Solar Cooking Recipes: Gingerbread Cookies
Solar Cooking Recipes
Sun Oven Gingerbread Men made by Shellie Emett
- 1 cup of white sugar
- 1 cup of molasses
- 3/4 cup of butter flavor shortening (or regular)
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 2 eggs
- 6 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground alspice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- In large bowl, mix together sugar, molasses, and shortening until smooth.
- Rinse molasses out of the measuring cup with hot water.
- Stir in eggs
- Combine flour and rest of dry ingredients
- Stir batter to form a soft dough.
- If too sticky add more flour if needed.
- Cover dough in bowl and refrigerate at least an hour.
Pre heat solar cooker to as high as possible
- Roll out dough to a 1/4 inch thickness on a floured surface.
- Cut into desired shapes
- Place cookies onto very, very lightly cooking sprayed dark sheet.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes
- Take finished cookies off of tray within a minute to avoid sticking
- Ice with favorite icing
These cookies are very easy to make and bake in a solar cooker and usually do not need more than fifteen minutes.
We even eat gingerbread cookies often in the summer.
Return from Solar Cooking Recipes Gingerbread back to recipes page