Solar Oven Recipe: Sopaipilla (Chilean Fry Bread)
Solar Oven Recipe
- 4 oz. Manteca (Lard)
- 5 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 7-10 oz. of banana squash (or similar squash,ex.butternut)
- 1 tbsp. Salt
- Steam or boil banana squash until soft in solar oven(45-60 min.)
- (Save some of the squash water for later)
- Mash or lightly puree squash into a mush
- Melt the manteca (lard) in solar cooker
- Mix dry ingredients together
- Add Manteca and squash to dry ingredient along with 1/4 cup(or more if needed) of squash water.
- Mix all ingredients together until soft dough forms
- Roll out onto floured table and continue mixing (kneading) by hand until dough is not sticky.
- Pinch off 2 or 3 inch pieces of dough and form into balls
- Roll flat with a floured rolling pin
- Fry to a light golden brown in heated cooking oil (about 1 min.)
* *These were a big hit at our solar cooking class during the summer.
*Note: Frying can only be done by using a parabolic solar cooker since panel and box cookers cannot reach such high temperatures.
Return from Solar Oven Recipe Sopaipilla back to recipe page
Enjoy this page? Please share it with others. Here's how...
Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?
- Click on the HTML link code below.
- Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment,
your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.