Solar Oven Recipe: Sopaipilla (Chilean Fry Bread)
Solar Oven Recipe
- 4 oz. Manteca (Lard)
- 5 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 7-10 oz. of banana squash (or similar squash,ex.butternut)
- 1 tbsp. Salt
- Steam or boil banana squash until soft in solar oven(45-60 min.)
- (Save some of the squash water for later)
- Mash or lightly puree squash into a mush
- Melt the manteca (lard) in solar cooker
- Mix dry ingredients together
- Add Manteca and squash to dry ingredient along with 1/4 cup(or more if needed) of squash water.
- Mix all ingredients together until soft dough forms
- Roll out onto floured table and continue mixing (kneading) by hand until dough is not sticky.
- Pinch off 2 or 3 inch pieces of dough and form into balls
- Roll flat with a floured rolling pin
- Fry to a light golden brown in heated cooking oil (about 1 min.)
* *These were a big hit at our solar cooking class during the summer.
*Note: Frying can only be done by using a parabolic solar cooker since panel and box cookers cannot reach such high temperatures.
Return from Solar Oven Recipe Sopaipilla back to recipe page