Solar Cooking Recipes: Mild Butter Herb Rice
Before starting this and certain other recipes, please take into consideration the amount of prime cooking time available to you in order to complete the full cooking process. Some recipes require two or more steps in the process of cooking the ingredients and can consume a fair portion of your available ideal cooking time.During the summer time this is less of a factor due to the position of the sun in the vernal sky. Fall, Winter and Spring solar cooking require some adjustment due to the shorter prime cooking hours. For more advice and insight go to our Solar Cooking: When is the Best Time? page.
Solar Cooking Recipes
- 2 cups of white rice
- 4 cups of water
- ¼ of fresh bell pepper
- ½ of small onion
- 2 large cloves of garlic
- 1 small carrot
- ½ teaspoon of dry oregano
- ½ teaspoon of dry basil
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- ¾ of square of butter
- 1 tbsp of salt
- ½ tsp of black pepper
- Set you solar pot in sun to preheat with ¾ stick of butter
- Chop onion, garlic and bell pepper into fine portions
- Grate the carrot into fine portions
- After the butter is melted add all fine chopped ingredients into solar pot and all remaining dry ingredients and seasoning.
- Mix together well and then re-cover pot and allow ingredients to brown (about 15 minutes)
- Add the four cups of water and cover. Let water heat for about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Add the two cups of rice, mixing all ingredients thoroughly.
- Cover pot and allow the rice to cook for about 30 minutes.
*You can quickly check your rice for doneness and allow an added five to ten minutes of cooking if necessary.
**Do not cook you rice longer than 40 minutes whereas it will possibly turn out over blown or mushy.
Rice should be fluffy, even though it may be a bit moister than when cooked over a burner.
Thank you for visiting Solar Cooking Recipes
Return from Mild Butter Herb Rice back to Solar Cooking Recipes