Solar Cooking Recipes: Spaghetti and Pasta
Before starting this and certain other recipes, please take into consideration the amount of prime cooking time available to you in order to complete the full cooking process. Some recipes require two or more steps in the process of cooking the ingredients and can consume a fair portion of your available ideal cooking time.During the summer time this is less of a factor due to the position of the sun in the vernal sky. Fall, Winter and Spring solar cooking require some adjustment due to the shorter prime cooking hours. For more advice and insight go to our Solar Cooking: When is the Best Time? page.
Solar Cooking Recipes
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1- small onion
- 2-3 Garlic cloves, minced
- ½- of Bell pepper
- 1-tsp. of oregano (dry)
- 1- tsp of basil (dry)
- 1-tbsp. of Salt
- 1-tsp black pepper
- ½ teaspoon of rosemary and thyme (optional, gives it a stronger flavor if so desired)
- 2-cans of diced or crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup of fresh mushrooms (optional) or canned
- 1-6 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 ½ tbsp. of corn starch
- ¾ cup of cold water
- Set the Solar cooker with reflectors out to preheat (with cooking pan) for 15 min.
- Also set out second pot in solar cooker with six cups water to boil.
- Put thawed ground beef in one pot (pan) to brown, broken down into small bits
- Cover pot and let cook for about 45 minutes.
- Chop or dice onion and garlic cloves together in chopper.
- Chop bell pepper into small pieces
- Cut fresh mushrooms to desired size (optional)
- Drain excess fat (leaving just a small amount) from the cooked ground beef and crumble into small bits.
- Mix in onion, garlic, and peppers
- Add oregano, basil, salt and black pepper (rosemary and thyme)
- Mix well and re-cover the pot and let the meat and spices brown for about 15 minutes with solar reflectors.
- Stir in diced or crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce and mushrooms.
- Cover and let simmer for an hour
- Mix 1 ½ tbsp. of corn starch in ¾ cup cold water, stir to dissolve
- Add to spaghetti sauce mixture while stirring. (this will lighten color of sauce)
- Re-cover pot and let simmer for at least two hours more, this allows the ingredients to stew which enhances the flavor.
- A half an hour before eating add your pasta to the other pot of water (boiling) and allow to cook for 20 minutes, sometimes 25 minutes depending on pasta and the sun. (Angel hair past cooks much quicker)
Sauce should be very well simmered and thick, serve over pasta with preferred cheese topping.
Than you for visiting Solar Cooking Recipes
Return back to Solar Cooking Recipes
Enjoy this page? Please share it with others. Here's how...
Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?
- Click on the HTML link code below.
- Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment,
your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.