Solar Cooker Shepards Casserole
This is an easy Solar Cooker Shepards Casserole and the ingredients are readily available and quick to assemble in a short time.
Of course the more solar cookers one has at their disposal the quicker it will be to prepare the ingredients, but if you have only one cooker you can still make this recipe without too much time consumption.
I used my parabolic cookers as well as two of my Sun Ovens to make our double batch of Solar Cooker Shepard's Casserole.
Browning the meat
* this recipe can be cut in half if need be
- Potatoes (15 regular size, peeled)
- Green Beans (two cans)
- Cut Corn (one can, or frozen equivalent)
- Tomato paste (two cans) or Four cans tomato sauce
- Ground meat 2 lbs.
- Onion medium, chopped (or dehydrated chopped onions)
- Grated Cheddar Cheese 2 cups
- salt 2 tsp. (or to taste)
- Garlic powder 2 tsp
- Black Ground Pepper 1 tsp
cut and boil potatoes on parabolic cooker (can be cooked in a solar
oven as well, it will just take longer than on a parabolic cooker)
the ground meat in a large frying pan on your parabolic cooker along
with a chopped onion if you are using a fresh onion. (can also be cooked
in the solar oven if you have no parabolic cooker)
- While the
potatoes and meat are cooking combine In a separate bowl the beans, corn
and tomato paste and mix together well.(do not drain the vegetables,
use the liquid)
- Add the dry flake/chopped onion to the mixture
if using the dehydrated form, and add the salt and garlic powder and
black pepper. (if you need to thin this mixture of tomato paste you can
add an extra 1/2 cup of water, or more if you desire)
- Place the mixture into the bottom of a casserole dish or a dark enamel roaster
your cooked potatoes as you normally would and with whatever
ingredients you normally use (such as milk, sour cream, seasonings etc.)
- Evenly Place spoonfuls of mashed potatoes over your tomato/vegetable mixture until completely covered.
grated cheddar cheese as topping (if you don't like your cheese too
brown or overcooked you might add the cheese at the cooking midway
Place the Solar Cooker Shepards Casserole into your preheated solar oven and allow to cook until casserole is bubbling.
can use a covered or uncovered pan to cook the casserole in. I prefer
covered because the cheese does not turn white and it gives a nice
toasted color to the cheese as well as helps to cook a bit quicker due
to more retained heat with a lid on the roaster.
Solar cooker Shepards Casserole almost ready to put in the oven
Return from Solar Cooker Shepards Casserole back to recipes page