Solar Oven Recipes: Taco Soup
Before starting this and certain other recipes, please take into consideration the amount of prime cooking time available to you in order to complete the full cooking process. Some recipes require two or more steps in the process of cooking the ingredients and can consume a fair portion of your available ideal cooking time.During the summer time this is less of a factor due to the position of the sun in the vernal sky. Fall, Winter and Spring solar cooking require some adjustment due to the shorter prime cooking hours. For more advice and insight go to our Solar Cooking: When is the Best Time? page.
Solar Oven Recipes
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 2 packs of taco seasoning
- 1 can of diced green chilies
- 1-2 cans of small red beans
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 can of Kidney beans
- 1-2 cans of corn
- 2 cans of tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 tbsp of Salt (or to taste)
- 1 bag of corn chips
- Fresh Salsa
- Sour Cream
- Set out solar Hot Pot or solar oven with large blackened pot to pre heat about 15 min.
- Add loosened ground beef to pot and cover.
- Allow to cook until 80 % done, about 30-45 minutes
In the meantime
- Open cans of beans, combine and rinse them with water in a strainer.
- When ground meat is almost cooked, drain excess fat and then stir in your taco seasoning packets, salt and your can of green chilies.
- Cover and allow it to cook for about 15 minutes.
- Combine in a bowl your beans, corn, (with juice) and tomatoes.
- Mix together and then take your bowl to your solar cooker and mix these ingredients into the solar pot, stirring until all is well mixed.
- Cover your pot and allow the soup to cook for 3-6 hours.
*You do not need to stir the soup but once during the remainder of the cook time.
The longer your soup cooks the darker it will look due to the simmer action allowing the flavors to meld and enhance.
Serve in bowls topped with a handful of corn chips, fresh salsa and sour cream.
* Read how we solar cooked this recipe at Solar Cooking Archive
Thank you for visiting our solar cooking recipes.
Return from Solar Oven Recipes back to recipes step by step
Solar Cooking B (log) Archive
Solar cooking photos page